Do you take work breaks? If not, start that habit now so you’ll be more focused, creative and productive.
Many people skip work breaks – in part because they feel guilty for taking one and in part because they feel they are getting more stuff done. However, numerous studies show we need short breaks between every hour and hour and half depending on lots of factors including your own nature. But it’s important for everyone to step away from your work space for a few minutes – even if you work from home.
The benefits of a break include:
1. Reducing boredom and therefore focus
2. Increase creativity
3. Help you retain information
When taking your breaks consider:
1. Walking – outside if possible, if not just around your office
2. Stretching – do a little office yoga
3. Talking to peers who are also on break – no one likes unplanned interruptions
4. Do nothing but resting your eyes – in a space away from your desk
5. Not checking your personal social media accounts or texts – give your mind a real break
When you give yourself 10 – 15 minutes here and there to recharge your mind, you’ll better be able to accomplish your goals. And, probably sooner than you think.