Every year the Secret Society of Happy People announces the happiest happenings, moments and events that made us smile and inspired happiness in 2013:
10. Diana Nyad, at 64 made history by swimming from Cuba to Key West without the protection of a shark cage. It was her fifth attempt reminding us to keep chasing our dreams.
9. Charles Ramsey for making the 911 call that freed kidnapped victims, Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight and reminding us that we never know when our help can change someone’s life.
8. Malala Yousafzai for being brave and wise beyond her 16 years and reminding us in her UN speech that, “One child, one teacher, one person and one book, can change the world.”
7. Davion Only’s viral heartfelt plea to be adopted opened our hearts to him and others in foster care that are also seeking adoptive families.
6. Angelina Jolie’s bravery for going public about her decision to have a preventable double mastectomy increased awareness about breast cancer and reminded us that healthy is beautiful.
5. Candy Crush has been played over 151 billion times since launching as a mobile app and it’s sweet nature is even called happily addictive by some.
3. The arrival of Britain’s Prince George gave the world a reason to celebrate.
2. Pope Francis for being so down-to-earth which has inspired both Catholics and non-Catholics alike to live a better life.
1. The selfie, which is how we share many of our happiest moments, officially makes it into the Oxford dictionary and becomes the number one word in 2013.
What made you happiest in 2013?