In 1999 the Secret Society of Happy People declared August 8th as Happiness Happens Day (originally Admit You’re Happy Day), and expanded the celebration to be a month long in August 2000 — that way you can celebrate whatever day is convenient.
August 8th was chosen because it was the day we got our first member, so it’s technically the Society‘s birthday.
In 1999, the Society asked all 50 state governors for a proclamations recognizing Admit You’re Happy Day and governors from 19 states sent proclamations. Find out if your governor was happy, a stick in the mud, or a parade-rainer.
How can you celebrate the Happiness Happens Month?
- Sign up to be a Happiness Happens Month Ambassador and get celebration updates
- Participate in HappyThon2013 on August 8, Happiness Happens Day: it’s an online social media event to share happiness.
- Pass out SILVER kisses because not-so-secretly happy people have a way to find the silver lining in the darkest of clouds.
- Have conversations about happiness … tell others what made you happy, and listen to what made others happy.
- Don’t rain on other peoples parades
- Make a Happy Treasure Chest: A box full of the things that bring smiles to your face. Get a box–make it uniquely happy. The crafty may want to decorate one and the crafty-challenged may choose to buy one. Then fill it with favorite photos; precious cards and letters; momentous and artifacts–movie tickets, playbills, jokes, happy quotes, cartoons, music, candles, videos, and the like.When you’re in need of a Happy Booster then look inside your Happy Treasure Chest and you’ll find plenty of smiles. It’s a great activity to do with others. Have a Happy Treasure Chest Party. You can even make one for someone who needs a happy pick-me-up! (Tip from Teri Sarin)
- Happy Memories: Put a piece of paper on the wall with each person’s name. Then have either family members or co-workers draw or write down a happy memory that they experienced with that person.
- Lead a Happiness Happens Month Celebration Activity at work.Vote for the Happiest Employee or Customer, have a Happy Expressions Pot Luck Lunch where everyone tells about their happiest moment at the company (best story wins a prize), or host a Happy Scavenger Hunt
- Take Your 31 Types of Happiness Inventory
- Host a Happiness Happens Celebration: Have a theme party with everyone wearing something from their favorite era (even if they didn’t live in it this lifetime) or pick your favorite era; make up a happy trivia game that includes things the happiest things about your city, county or state; but most important have fun
- Share the Happiness: Write Down or Post your Daily Happy Moment. If you can’t think of one check the 31 Types of Happiness
- When tucking your kids in for bed at night, take turns listing the happy moments you experienced that day (Tip from Cindy Fitzhugh, MA)
- Have a Happy Expression Art Show. Each person (friend or family member) through some form of art: drawings, painting, songs, writing, and on and on can express what makes them happy. End with having a show and tell party. (Tip from Kimla Cotropia, Ph.D)
- Society Store Helpers include Playful Membership and Happiness Happens and Don’t Even Think of Raining on my Parade T-shirt.