Who’d have thought when we started an official happiness holiday all those years ago we’d still be celebrating it 19 years later?
Yes, we’re celebrating the 19th Happiness Happens Month this August … so let’s do a little happy dance. If you actually do one, post it with the hashtag #HHM2018 so I can see it because it’ll make me smile
Each year we pick a theme and this year it’s: Be the Reason Someone Smiles.
The world needs more smiles and you can help create them. It can be as easy as smiling at people more. If you’re looking for more reasons to smile think about this: A study from the University of Missouri-Kansas City found that college students perceived pictures of people with happy smiles to be both younger and skinnier than those who were frowning. Who doesn’t want to make people happier while looking younger and skinnier?
Of course, there are several more wonderful scientific reasons to be smiling including:
1. Smiling is contagious. Researchers have found that it is difficult to frown when looking at someone who is smiling. (Journal of Nonverbal Behavior)
2. Smiling is linked with reduced stress levels, increased health, endorphin levels, and lowered blood pressure. (Psychology Today)
3. Smiling does not cause wrinkles. In fact, smiling acts as a facial massage that delivers blood, endorphins, and antioxidants to the skin’s surface. (Viva Woman)
And, if you like smile stats, here are a few more to make you grin.
We also have a few Bonus Smile Makers that you can exchange for one on the calendar or if you just want extras to make more people smile.
When you share your “Be the Reason Someone Smiles” pics, use #HHM2018 so we can find you on Social Media and create even more smiles
And, if you’d like to update your Social Media Cover and Profile Graphics, we have some that you can download and use.
Another way you can Be the Reason Someone Smiles is to share our Pass-It-On Cards. The idea is to give a card that has one of ten different quotes to family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, strangers, or customers.
You can also get creative in how you share them:
- Place them in a lunch you make
- Give one to your doorman
- Put them in a bill you mail
- Give one to a police or fire person
- Stop at a local hospital or nursing home to share them
- Give one to a drive-thru cashier
- Leave one with your tip at a restaurant
- Give one to the grocery store cashier
- You get the idea – be creative and share them with anyone you want to be the reason they smile.
The Secret Society of Happy People started celebrating happiness with Admit You’re Happy Day on August 8, 1999. But our members wanted the happy feeling to linger a little longer, so in 2000 we expanded the celebration to the entire month of August. Eventually, the month was renamed Happiness Happens Day and Month.