This spring, when I started pondering possible themes for Happiness Happens Month, “I See Happy” almost immediately popped into my mind. I think this is mostly because when I think of the Secret Society of Happy People members, I know that you all share something. You either have a natural gift for or have developed the habit of noticing happiness.
Then, my creative mind took over, and I saw social media sites filled with selfies of all of us wearing a pair of #ISeeHappy sunglasses, telling everyone about the happiness we see. After all, recognizing happiness is the purpose of Happiness Happens Month.
When our members voted and selected “I See Happy” as our theme for this year’s Happiness Happens Month, I had no idea that the news was going to be filled with so many global acts of violence done by evil and lost souls. When we hear these stories on an almost constant loop, it implies that happiness has been lost to the chaos in the world. However, we know that’s not true. Even in the midst of chaos, happiness happens, even though it might be harder to see.
Although Happiness Happens Month can’t fix all the significant problems in the world, it can make the world a happier place one person at a time. Because happiness is contagious, if you notice it around you, then others may catch your happy bug and see more of their own happiness. Our Happiness Happens Month’s theme this year is simple: look for happiness, and when you see it, share it.
Here are some fun ways to do that:
• Take a selfie each day of August when you see happy. Then post it in our I See Happy Facebook group and on your personal page. Tag your post with #ISeeHappy, and you might receive a random gift from the Secret Society of Happy People.
• We’ll do an #ISeeHappy when post each day on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Share them to get others thinking about where and when they see happy. (Here’s a sneak peek of our “ISeeHappy when… graphics 🙂 )
• Send or pass out the I See Happy postcards to let your family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers know what they do that makes you see happy when you see them.
• Wear a pair of our official #ISeeHappy sunglasses so that the world knows you look for happiness.
• If you are a people leader or participate in an employee engagement committee, sign up to get our Happiness Happens Month Happier @ Work Guide.
I can’t wait to see your #ISeeHappy posts starting August 1.
On a personal note, my dad passed away last week after living with cancer for the last fourteen months. It’s the reason for the delay in sharing Happiness Happens Month celebration details. Despite the challenges of his cancer, there were many #ISeeHappy moments that I’ll share in the future. But for now, my feelings are a bit raw, and I need to honor them.